Why you shouldn’t share Thanksgiving leftovers with pets

RAPID CITY, S.D. – While it may be tempting to give your dog some of your tasty Thanksgiving dinner treats, it could do them way more harm than good.

Kelsey Harty, an Animal Services and enforcement officer, says, “Those chicken bones can be really bad for them. They can split while they’re chewing on them, and that risks the damage going down the esophagus. I know onions, which are in stuffing a lot, really aren’t good for dogs. So there are a variety of things that aren’t safe. Even in a small magnitude, it’s just not a good idea.”

Not only can giving your dog something dangerous to eat be risky for them, but it can also be expensive and stressful for you.

Also, be careful about where you decide to store your leftovers. Put them away in the fridge as soon as possible so that your pet doesn’t make their way onto the counter and help themselves to your dinner.

“Just make sure that your trash cans are secure so that the dogs and the cats can’t get to them. Or maybe just take it right out to the trash can and keep those trash cans away from the dogs and the cats outside.”

In the end – for your sake and your dog’s – you’re better to avoid the human food altogether and just stick with dog food.

In the event your pet does accidentally eat something it shouldn’t, you should call or an emergency clinic or take it in as soon as possible.

Categories: Local News

AlertMe