Fender Bender: How do you know when to call the Rapid City Police Department?

Car Wreck 1RAPID CITY, S.D.– It is not the most wonderful time of the year when it comes to car wrecks. Slick roads lead to collisions. The Rapid City Police Department again are encouraging drivers to be extra cautious during winter conditions.

A major piece of advice, stay home when no travel advisories are in place. But when accidents do happen should you always call the police?  RCPD says yes. It’s better to err on the side of caution and give them a call. Officers can then file a report for any accident with more than a $1,000 of damage or if there were any injuries, which will be useful when filing a claim.

RCPD Crash Reconstructionist Derek Mann says, “It doesn’t take much to get $1,000 damage, especially in the cold. The days of the old metal bumpers are gone. Most bumpers on passenger vehicles are now vinyl. When those vinyl covers get cold, they do crack, and most of them are set at about a thousand.”

Make Sure Everyone In Your Vehicle Is Okay

Derek Mann adds that it’s a good idea to use your cell phone to get a picture of the other driver’s license plate. He also recommends the vehicles stay in place if it’s safe to do so. However, if the roads are extremely slick you may want to consider moving. Derek Mann says, “We’ve actually had secondary collisions where cars are still out in the middle of the road and people can’t stop through the slippery roads and slide in and have a secondary crash.”

If you’re in a collision with resulting injury, Mann recommends calling 911. If medical assistance is not needed he says just call your local police or sheriff’s office directly.



Categories: Local News