Watching system for next week: Snow, wind & cold temperatures possible
As we navigate cold temperatures and slick roads this morning, we look beyond our warm weather this weekend to our next possible thumper Monday & Tuesday of next week
- Chilly temperatures will stay with us through the morning, with a few snow showers this morning and this afternoon in the Eastern foothills
- Could also have a few snow showers towards Jackson and Bennett County.
Interactive radar this morning as of 5:15 shows a few bands of light snow showers crossing just East of Rapid City.
Roads are on the slippery side this morning, here is a check of road conditions across the region.
- Highs today will struggle to reach the teens and 20s in some cases.
- Areas towards Mobridge, SD could struggle to leave the single digits. Make sure you are bundling up for a chilly day today.
- Most areas will start to see sunshine this afternoon, but more snow showers could develop in the Eastern foothills.
- This includes the SD-79 corridor between Hermosa and Hot Springs. Custer State Park, Custer, Crazy Horse and those area could have light accumulations.
- Big improvements on the way as we reach Thursday, looking at low 50s by the time we get to Friday.
- The weekend looks much the same, with sunshine on Saturday and partly cloudy skies by Sunday with temperatures into the 50s once again.
Yes, we are looking at a potential thumper for next week. No, there is no reason to cancel any plans. Long range is starting to show at least some consistency with this winter system for Monday and Tuesday. What we’re looking at is a bull that will enter the arena (The Great Plains), what we aren’t sure of is how fast it will charge, and in which direction.
So far, some moderate to heavy accumulations have shown up through multiple model runs through the Northern Hills, so at the very least we can have a little confidence that snow is likely for Monday and Tuesday there. This could also be accompanied by some windy conditions and cold temperatures – but how much snow and how gusty the winds will be is a big question… This is a Colorado Low by all accounts so the potential is at least there for a larger scale system to impact the region.
Having that said, this could still miss us by almost 2 whole states. With each passing day, that margin of error will decrease… and we’ll start to get a better idea. We’ll keep you updated with the lastest! Be safe out there this morning – roads are slick! – Brant