Upcoming Halloween Festivities in the Black Hills
With fall in full swing and October reaching its end Halloween is just around the corner and there are plenty of options for fun activities in the Black Hills. Weather you are looking for activities to do with your kids or you want to dress up and party with the goblins and ghouls of the night we have gathered up a list of local events in the Black Hills leading up to Halloween. For more information on each event click on the link provided.
- Ellsworth Halloween Hike at Outdoor Campus |Ellsworth Air Force Base, Friday, October 25, 4:30 to 8:30 p.m.| There will be food, campfire, games, and other Halloween activities along with short skits about the natural history of various critters living in Custer State Park and the Black Hills. $10 tickets
- Halloween Hike |Rapid City, Friday, October 25, 5 to 8 p.m.| This evening is for the whole family, with hikes for both younger children, and older children and adults. FREE
- Night at the BooSeum |Rapid City, Saturday, October 26, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.| Children can come trick or treat in a safe environment while learning about ancient marine reptiles, flying reptiles, prehistoric mammals, and rocks through games and hands-on educational activities. FREE
- Scare in the Square |Rapid City, Saturday, October 26, 1 to 3 p.m.| A Trick-or-Treat event in Main Street Square. FREE
- Safe N Sweet Trick N Treat |Rapid City, Saturday, October 26, 3:30 to 8:30 p.m.| Trick-or-Treat alongside Bunny’s Heroes (costumed superhero and princess characters!). $3 per person
- VFW Family Fun Halloween Fest |Rapid City, Saturday, October 26, 6 to 9 p.m.| Halloween fun for kids of all ages! FREE
- Halloween Sock Hop |Rapid City, Sunday, October 27, 1 p.m.| 1K race for kids followed by 5K race for (registration required). FREE for kids
- Trunk of Treat |Rapid City, Tuesday, October 29, 5:30 to 7 p.m.| Regional Health caregivers will offer a variety of Halloween goodies from the trunks of over 30 decorated vehicles. FREE
- Trail of Treats |Spearfish, Thursday, October 31, 3 p.m.| Trick-or-Treat at the local businesses of downtown Spearfish. FREE
Teens and Up
- We’re gonna have a Ghost of a Halloween! |Sturgis, Friday, October 25, 7 p.m.| Join everyone at the Sturgis Center for the Arts (no little ones, please-we don’t want them to have nightmares!) for some spine-tingling stories for the Halloween season.
- Custer State Park Halloween Night Hike |Custer State Park, Friday, October 25, 4:30 to 8:30 p.m.| The Park’s displays have sprung to life and are causing a chaotic situation. Explore and discover the history of Custer State Park during this 2-mile guided hike. The hike is FREE but you need a park entrance license which can be purchased at the Visitor Center
- The Haunting of Rush Mountain |Keystone, Friday, October 25 – Sunday, October 27, 6 to 11 p.m.| Rush Mountain will have a special Halloween Haunting. The park will be closed during the day, but open at night for the Haunted event! Not recommended for kids under 12. Tickets are $25 in advance and $30 at the gate
- Rushmore Mall Haunted House Attraction |Rapid City, Friday, October 25 – Sunday, October 27, 7 p.m. to 12 a.m.| 30,000 square feet, two mega attractions combined, in one horrific Location. FREE
- Deadwierd |Deadwood, Friday, October 25 (7 to 10 p.m.) and Saturday, October 26 (6 to 9 p.m.)| Deadweird is a little crazy, a little spooky and a WHOLE lot of fun! Make plans for the 7th annual Monster Ball on Friday with a live band, dancing and prizes; and the annual Costume Contest with more than $10,000 in cash and prizes for the best costumes on Saturday. FREE
- Rushmore ABATE Halloween Party |Kickstands Campground and Venue, Saturday, October 26, 8 p.m.| Live Music by Common Law begins at 8PM. Tickets are $5 a person or $8 a couple
- Boos and Brews Monster Mashup |Spearfish, Thursday, October 31, 8 p.m.| A costume contest at Killian’s Food and Drink, prize packages given to the weirdest/creepiest and best group/couples costumes. FREE
Our Halloween costume contest will also begin accepting entries on Friday, October 25 and will continue through Monday, November 4. Submit your best Halloween costume photos HERE for a chance to win a $50 gift certificate from one of our spooktacular prize sponsors. Voting will open Tuesday, November 5 and end on Monday, November 11.