Two Wyoming teens taken to hospital after edible THC candy overdose
NEWCASTLE, Wyo. — An accidental overdose of two Newcastle teenagers is being investigated the Newcastle Police Department.
One of the fathers of the juveniles informed the NPD of the situation early Sunday morning after their child was taken to the hospital.
NPD Detective Michael Vaughn said that one of the juveniles was given edible marijuana gummy candy by a friend who had received it from a family member. Both juveniles had an adverse reaction to the drugs and were then taken to the hospital by their parents before being flown by medivac fixed-wing airplane to Denver Children’s Hospital.
Vaughn said that the THC gummy container stated to “keep out of reach of children” and that no under the age of 18 should use the product. Vaughn also noted that the Emergency Room Doctor in Colorado stated,
“Since the legalization of edibles and recreational THC, emergency rooms in Colorado see 20 to 100 juveniles on Friday and Saturday nights that have overdosed.”
In a release from the NPD, the gummy candy contained a high level of THC concentrate.
According to the release, the drugs were purchased at a dispensary in Colorado and illegally transported into Wyoming where they remain illegal.
“So, people need to be aware of dosing restrictions and that juveniles should not consume or use the THC edibles, recreational THC or medical marijuana,” Vaughn said.
The incident is an on-going investigation. No further information was provided at this time.