Two unrelated, “major incidents” overnight leave one man dead, another hospitalized after officer-involved shooting

UPDATE: (2:14 p.m.) — In the first incident, the homicide victim is a 31-year-old male. His name has not yet been released.

In the second incident, the individual who pointed a shotgun at the officer is a 15-year-old male.

The male who pointed the shotgun at the officer was alive at last check early this morning. The South Dakota DCI will be responsible for any further updates on his condition.

The officer fired multiple times, however DCI will be looking into any specifics.

Ages on the other occupants of the vehicle have not been released, and it is believed the traffic stop was associated with criminal activity in the area.

RAPID CITY, S.D. – The Rapid City Police Department responded to what they call two “major incidents” overnight – one that left one man dead, and another where an officer fired his duty-weapon.

Just before 6 a.m. Christmas Day morning, Rapid City Police Chief Don Hedrick made a statement regarding the two, unrelated incidents.

The first, occurring late Christmas Eve. Just after 11 p.m., Chief Hedrick says Rapid City police responded to a call for gunshots in the 1000 block of Silver Leaf  Avenue. When they arrived, they found one male who was shot in the street. “Emergency life-saving measures were taken” but the man was later pronounced dead at Monument Health Rapid City Hospital.

His identification has not been released pending notification of family members.

Chief Hedrick says law enforcement has been investigating actively overnight.

The second incident occurred just before 4 a.m. Chief Hedrick says an officer conducted a traffic stop at the intersection of East Jackson and Milwaukee Street. The vehicle pulled over and one occupant ran, leaving a door open. He says another male occupant emerged, holding a shotgun.

“The officer asked repeatedly for the individual to drop the shotgun and he did not. The officer fired at the individual holding the shotgun which caused him to fall and drop the shotgun,” said Chief Hedrick.

The man was taken to Monument Health Rapid City with unknown injuries.

Officers secured the scene and are interviewing five other occupants in the vehicle. Chief Hedrick says they don’t believe the individual who ran is a danger to the community but they are searching for the person.

Because the shooting was officer-involved, the Division of Criminal Investigation is conducting its own review.

No officers were injured in either incident.

“So a couple tragedies in our community tonight. However, we are happy our officers were not injured in either of these instances or other calls for services they responded to,” said Chief Hedrick.

Categories: Crime, Local News, South Dakota News