Sylvan Lake Lodge Fire cause revealed
CUSTER, S.D. – According to the South Dakota State Fire Marshal’s Office, the origin of the Sylvan Lake Lodge Fire from December has been revealed.
The fire was caused by a failed ceiling heater near the main entrance to the lodge area of the building.
It broke out in mid-December, destroying part of the structure. Firefighters were able to save the historic section of the building, but the damage was caused to the newer side built to accommodate more housing for guests.
People with lodging reservations for the upcoming season have been contacted at this time.
No word yet on the estimated cost of the damage.
The Sylvan Lake Lodge is the second of it’s kind, the original built at the end of the 19th century to help attract tourists to the area in the early days of the park.