Spearfish home fire damage estimated at $45K

SPEARFISH, S.D. – A Spearfish family was forced out of their home when it caught fire Monday afternoon. Investigators believe the fire started because combustible materials were placed too close to the metal fireplace.

When firefighters arrived around 4 p.m., they found light smoke coming from the roof and chimney of the Ames Street home. The residents called 911 after their smoke detectors went off, and there were no injuries.

The residents are staying with their neighbors temporarily.

According to the Spearfish Fire Department, it was an early 1900s home. Repair costs are estimated to be over $45,000 considering the “significant” smoke damage.

Responding agencies: Spearfish Police Department, Spearfish Ambulance Service, Black Hills Energy, Montana-Dakota Utilities and City of Spearfish Water Department.

Photos courtesy of the Spearfish Fire Department
Categories: Local News

AlertMe