Spearfish FD handles fire at Steerfish Steak and Smoke Monday evening

SPEARFISH, S.D. — At approximately 6:05 p.m. Monday afternoon, Spearfish Fire Department responded to a fire in the basement at Steerfish Steak and Smoke.

When crews arrived, they noticed smoke coming from the kitchen area and going out the back door. The fire was reportedly contained to a dryer in the basement laundry room.

Restaurant employees had initially used a fire extinguisher to weaken the flames, and fire crews were able to finally put it out. Kitchen oven hoods and the back door were used to help ventilate the building.

Fire Chief Travis Ladson stated that the fire was a result of washing and then attempting to dry greasy, oily rags.

“Sometimes greasy, oily rags need to be washed more than once,” Ladson said, explaining that the combination of oxygen, fuel, and heat can cause items to combust. “Be very careful when dealing with oily rags – even when they are wet, they can combust given the right conditions.”

Ladson praised the restaurant employees for their quick reaction and getting everyone out of the building.

No injuries were reported, and the damage is estimated to be roughly $3,500. Four engines, two command staff vehicles, and about 25 firefighters responded to the call.

Categories: Local News, South Dakota News