Smoke alarms save four people from structure fire near Silver Mountain Road
RAPID CITY, S.D. — Smoke alarms have been reported as being responsible for saving the lives of four people early Monday morning.
Via a Facebook post from the Rockerville Volunteer Fire Department, just before 6:00 a.m., the RVFD units received a call for a report of a structure fire near Silver Mountain Road.
The homeowner said that they woke up because of the smoke alarms and that they were able to exit the upstairs bathroom to retrieve two children before escaping the structure, which was full of smoke.
When Rockerville firefighters arrived, they found the fire in the area of the chimney as well as in the ceiling of the main living room. Fire engines that arrived first at the scene were the first to attack it.
Fire extension was found in the ceiling and in the upstairs bedroom wall.
Just before 6am Rockerville units were paged for a structure fire off of Silver Mountain Road. The homeowner reported…
Rockerville units were supported in the first alarm of the fire by the following agencies:
Rapid City Fire, Battle Creek Fire, Whispering Pines VFD, Hill City VFD, Pennington County Fire Admin, Keystone Ambulance, and Pennington County 911.
The RCFD and Rockerville Fire Department are reminding the public to always test your smoke and practice fire exit drills.
Remember to test those smoke alarms and practice your exit drills.
We are happy to hear that everyone involved is safe!