Safeway stores offer at home COVID-19 saliva tests
If the thought of a COVID-19 nasal swab test makes you cringe, you may now have a local alternative but will come with a cost.
RAPID CITY, S.D. — Safeways in some states, including South Dakota area now offering at-home COVID-19 test kits.
The saliva tests typically offer results in less than 72 hours from the time the patient mails the test. Some are using them for travel, work or school to show they have a negative test. The saliva test is for all ages and has a 98% accuracy.
Those interested can either go online to order a test or pick one up at the Safeway Pharmacy.
Nikki Price, Dir. of Pharmacy Operations, of Safeway Pharmacy, says, “The people that we find who are using them are people with active infections, people who may be asymptomatic that felt like they have been exposed to somebody or, you know, they just want it for peace of mind. In many cases they are using them for a negative test. ”
The cost is $139 dollars, but could potentially be covered under medical insurance and Safeway will provide you the documentation to submit the receipts.
Price says, “The reason that we wanted to get involved with this is that we saw that there was a need out there especially for those who need a negative test or just want a piece of mind. We just wanted to make sure that we were providing the right services to the communities that need them.”
The Phosphorus COVID-19 RT-qPCR Test has received emergency use authorization from the FDA.
Here is a break down of how it works:
- Visit scheduletest.com to complete a short medical questionnaire and request your test.
- Your Albertsons or Safeway pharmacist will authenticate the information, review, and order your test.
- You will be contacted for payment* and receive notification that your test kit is ready for pick-up or has delivered/shipped to your address. Patients showing symptoms should not pick up their own test; they must send a representative or choose delivery.
- Complete the sample collection and send it to the lab via the kit’s prepaid next-day shipping envelope.
- Receive your results by email or text.
- After receiving results, an Albertsons or Safeway pharmacist will be available for questions regarding follow-up care.
Customers can contact any local Albertsons or Safeway pharmacy for additional information.