RCFD responds to morning gas leak at Boyd’s Drug Mart
RAPID CITY, S.D. — Shortly after 8 a.m. on Wednesday, the Rapid City Fire Department was called to Boyd’s Drug Mart in Baken Park for a gas leak.
A construction company working in the area hit a gas line located behind Boyd‘s on West Main Street. Natural gas was present in the air and Montana Dakota Utilities was called to shut off the gas line. As a precaution, the 600 block of businesses were evacuated.
“Anytime we have a release of natural gas, we worry about it pooling up somewhere or into a building and finding an ignition source and starting a fire, or creating an explosion,” said fire operations division chief, Brian Povandra. “We have the area secured, the building evacuated, crews are on scene on the back side, we have a hose line stretched out, just as a precaution. But, we’re just making sure everybody’s safe and secure, and out of the building.”
About two hours later, MDU was able to get the gas shut off and allowed managers and staff back into their buildings.