Prom to be held April 17th for seniors of Rapid City
RAPID CITY, S.D. — After canceling prom last month, Rapid City Area Schools has reconsidered holding the dance this year.
This change comes after the news that RCAS students between the ages of 16-18 will have a chance to be vaccinated. RCAS says that this places more choice in families’ hands as they make decisions about prom and graduation.
This year prom will be held on April 17. RCAS also says that fewer people will be allowed at this year’s prom and safety precautions will be put in place and strictly enforced.
RCAS has provided a few important information items your teen needs to know
- Every senior will be able to buy a ticket for themselves and a guest (the guest must be a 9-12th grade student)
- To reduce the number of attendees, juniors will not be able to purchase a ticket this year; however, they can attend if they are asked by a senior.
- Tickets will only be sold in advance. They will go on sale Tuesday, March 23rd and be available through April 12th at your student’s activities office. No tickets will be sold at the door this year. Staff needs an accurate headcount ahead of the day of prom in order to adequately plan for a safe event. Tickets are $20 for one person or $35 for a couple.
- Prom is from 7 to 11 p.m. at the Civic Center’s Don Barnett Arena
- Masks will be required.
- There will not be a post-prom at CHS or SHS this year. Alternatively, both CHS and SHS will host a senior picnic with raffles and prizes later on in the school year.
Graduation will take place at the Don Barnett Arena located in the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center at the following dates/times:
- Rapid City High School – Friday, May 28th at 7 p.m.
- Stevens High School – Sunday, May 30th at 1:30 p.m.
- Central High School – Sunday, May 30th at 5 p.m.
Newscenter1 will be streaming the graduation online and on all of our social media platforms. Graduation will also be broadcast live on television on KNBN.2 in Rapid City and KWSD in the eastern part of the state.