Police respond to possible gunman at Rushmore Mall

UPDATE: Police determined that the suspect never made entrance into the haunted house. RCPD says he was contacted by police outside of the attraction and taken into custody without incident.

Police hope to release more information on Monday after officers have a chance to interview witnesses and investigate the incident further.


RAPID CITY, S.D. — Reports of an armed person at the Rushmore Mall has resulted in a massive movement of police officers Sunday afternoon.

According to the Rapid City Police Department, initial reports said that an armed individual was heading into the mall’s haunted house. Every police officer in the city immediately responded at about 5 p.m.

Police worked to clear the area and spoke with witnesses, determining that no shots had been fired and nobody had been injured. At this time, RCPD has one suspect detained, and police continue to investigate the incident.


NewsCenter1 will continue to bring you updates as more information becomes available.

Categories: Crime, Local News

AlertMe