Pennington County inmate died from meth overdose
PIERRE, S.D. – A Pennington County Jail inmate, who passed away in September, died from a methamphetamine overdose.
The autopsy report for Richard Zimmerman, 31, shows that he died as a result of meth toxicity. The amount of meth in his system was “markedly elevated within lethal levels,” according to the report. Attorney General Marty Jackley released the results Thursday.
Authorities say a plastic baggie found in Zimmerman’s stomach also tested positive for meth.
On Sept. 15, Zimmerman was found unresponsive in his cell and was transported to Regional Health Rapid City Hospital where he died.
This investigation into the death is still ongoing as to the source of the meth.