Owner says power cord caused Full Throttle Saloon fire

STURGIS, S.D. (AP) — The owner of the Full Throttle Saloon in Sturgis says the fire that destroyed the popular biker bar was caused by an electrical cord.

Michael Ballard says the power cord became pinched by a keg cooler behind the main bar, and it heated up and ignited a cardboard box.

Federal, state and local officials investigated the Sept. 8 fire. Officials earlier this week ruled the blaze accidental but didn’t give an exact cause.

The loss is estimated at $10 million. Ballard says he isn’t sure yet if he’ll rebuild.

The business was billed as "The World’s Largest Biker Bar" and had been the subject of the truTV series "Full Throttle Saloon," which aired for several seasons starting in 2009.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.