Names of service members killed in Kabul attack released
WASHINGTON — The Department of Defense announced Saturday morning the names of the 13 service members who died in the Aug. 26 attack in Kabul, Afghanistan.
The names of the 11 deceased Marines are:
- Staff Sgt. Darin T. Hoover, 31, of Salt Lake City, Utah
- Sgt. Johanny Rosariopichardo, 25, of Lawrence, Massachusetts
- Sgt. Nicole L. Gee, 23, of Sacramento, California
- Cpl. Hunter Lopez, 22, of Indio, California
- Cpl. Daegan W. Page, 23, of Omaha, Nebraska
- Cpl. Humberto A. Sanchez, 22, of Logansport, Indiana
- Lance Cpl. David L. Espinoza, 20, of Rio Bravo, Texas
- Lance Cpl. Jared M. Schmitz, 20, of St. Charles, Missouri
- Lance Cpl. Rylee J. McCollum, 20, of Jackson, Wyoming
- Lance Cpl. Dylan R. Merola, 20, of Rancho Cucamonga, California
- Lance Cpl. Kareem M. Nikoui, 20, of Norco, California
In addition to the 11 Marines was one member of the Navy and one member of the Army:
- Navy Hospitalman Maxton W. Soviak, 22, of Berlin Heights, Ohio
- Army Staff Sgt. Ryan C. Knauss, 23, of Corrytown, Tennessee
“These fallen heroes answered the call to go into harm’s way to do the honorable work of helping others. We are proud of their service and deeply saddened by their loss,” said Gen. David H. Berger, Commandant of the Marine Corps.
All 13 of the service members were were supporting non-combatant evacuations in Kabul when the attack happened.