Morning News Producer
NewsCenter1 (KNBN-TV) in Rapid City is seeking a producer for a dynamic, fast-paced morning newscast. The successful applicant is a motivated, self-directed person who works well alone but functions smoothly as part of a team. Strong editorial judgement and writing skills are musts.
NewsCenter1 produces a 90-minute newscast at 5:30 a.m. consisting of three separate half hours. This position is responsible for all three half hours. This position also monitors police scanners and social media for overnight news developments.
The producer is responsible for all elements of a live newscast. The producer determines story order and presentation (voiceover, SOT, reporter package, reporter live on set or in field, etc.), and allocates appropriate time to stories. While the shows are on the air, the producer manages the timing of the show, adjusting copy as necessary.
Reports to: Executive Producer
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee all elements of a live newscast, including story placement, video elements, timing, and script review
- Post stories to social media distribution channels, especially in breaking news situations
- Assign crews as appropriate in breaking news situations
- Write readers, voiceovers, soundbites, especially from newsfeed sources (CNN Newsource, APTV, etc.)
- Pull and edit video and sound from newsfeed sources
- Supplement reporter staff as needed for news coverage
- Identify and research in-studio interview topics, and line up appropriate guests
- Other duties as assigned
- Strong editorial judgement
- Strong written and visual storytelling skills
- Proficiency with multiple social media platforms, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related degree field strongly desired
- 1-2 years newsroom experience, or commensurate collegiate experience strongly desired
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, Adobe Premiere Pro or similar non-linear editing system; newsroom automation system strongly desired
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com or mail to:
PO Box 9549
Rapid City, SD 57709
Equal Opportunity Employer