Microwave malfunction prompts South Middle School evacuation

RAPID CITY S.D. – A malfunction in a microwave oven prompted the evacuation of South Middle School in Rapid City Monday afternoon.

Just after this after noon, fire crews were called to the school for a fire alarm. Crews arrived to a smoky haze in part of the building. All students were evacuated to a safe distance for about 20 minutes.

Fire officials say the evacuation is a reminder to go over home fire safety with your kids.

“Make sure you have working smoke detectors and that your plan includes two ways out of every room in your home and that you have a meeting place out front so when the fire department arrives you can make sure everyone is out,” said Lt. Jim Bussell with the Rapid City Fire Department.

Classes resumed as normal shortly afterwards.

Categories: Local News, South Dakota News

AlertMe