5 things to know today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. BLACK WOMEN MOBILIZE, SEIZE POLITICAL SPOTLIGHT They have long been the Democratic Party’s most reliable and loyal voters, but for generations that allegiance didn’t translate to their own political rise.
2. PREPARING FOR BACK TO SCHOOL AMID PANDEMIC Parents in some states are getting their first look at a new school year as the coronavirus continues to cause upheaval in school systems around the country.
3. HEARING COULD OFFER NEW DETAILS IN CHILDREN’S DEATHS Prosecutors plan to begin sketching out their evidence against a couple at the center of a bizarre case of two missing children whose bodies were later unearthed in rural Idaho.
4. ISAIAS CRAWLS TOWARD THE CAROLINAS The storm is near hurricane strength just a day after bands of heavy rain lashed Florida’s east coast as state officials dealt with surging cases of the coronavirus.
5. HSBC SAYS NET PROFITS PLUNGED 96% Europe’s biggest bank reports its net profit plummeted in the second quarter of this year as lower interest rates combined with the downturn due to the coronavirus pandemic stunted business activity.