How many cases of vandalism were reported in February in Rapid City?
RAPID CITY – In February, 17 cases of vandalism were reported throughout Rapid City.
Here is a breakdown of the data around those calls, as reported by the LexisNexis community crime map and calls recorded by the Rapid City Police Department. The kind of vandalism, and how much was done, are both not recorded by this data.
Of the 17 total cases reported, six incidents took place at residences near the following locations:
- 400 block of E. Watertown St. on Feb. 10 at 9:29 a.m.
- 700 block of 5th St. on Feb. 11 at 10:19 a.m.
- 1900 block of Seger Drive on Feb. 14 at 1:58 a.m.
- 200 block of Bengal Drive on Feb. 18 at 10:00 p.m.
- 3800 block of Chief Drive on Feb. 23 at 10:34 p.m.
- 300 block of E. Adams St. on Feb. 24 at 3:18 p.m.
The remaining 11 incidents happened at a mix of locations including one bank, one drug store/doctor’s office, two office buildings, two hotels, three parking lots/garages and two instances at an auto dealership.
Those two cases were reported just days apart at the auto dealership, located on the 300 block of E. North St. The first report was on Sunday, Feb. 19, at 6 p.m. and the second on Tuesday, Feb. 21, at 12:45 a.m.
The majority of the 17 calls came in the afternoon or between midnight and 8 a.m. Five cases were reported between 1-4 p.m., four were reported between midnight and 8 a.m., three between 5-9 p.m., three between 9 p.m. to midnight, and two cases were reported between 8 a.m. and noon.
Of the five cases of vandalism reported in the afternoon, four happened on public property:
- 1 reported at a drug store/doctor’s office on the 900 block of Mountain View Road on Feb. 1 at 12:49 p.m.
- 1 reported at a hotel on the 2100 block of N. La Crosse St. on Feb. 7 at 2:53 p.m.
- 1 reported at a bank on the 700 block of E. North St. on Feb. 11 at 4 p.m.
- 1 reported at a parking lot/garage on the 300 block of E. Philadelphia St. at 12:42 p.m.
The last instance was reported on a residence on the 300 block of E. Adams St. at 3:18 p.m. on Feb. 24.
Monday, Feb. 20, saw the most reported cases of vandalism, with three different reports that came in that day. At 8 a.m., a parking lot/garage at the 400 block of E. Monroe St. was vandalized, followed by another call at 7:36 p.m. at a commercial office building on the 400 block of 6th St. and another call at 7:56 p.m. at another parking lot/garage, also on the 400 block of 6th St.
There were also two calls placed on Feb. 11, Feb. 18, Feb. 19 and Feb. 21. Those included:
- Feb 11: Residence at the 700 block of 5th St. at 10:19 a.m.
- Feb. 11: Bank at the 700 block of E. North St. at 4 p.m.
- Feb. 18: Residence at the 200 block of Bengal Drive at 10 p.m.
- Feb. 18: Hotel on the 800 block of Eglin St. at 10:50 p.m.
- Feb. 19: Commercial office building at the 100 block of North St. at 1:02 a.m.
- Feb. 19: Auto dealership at the 300 block of E. North St. at 6 p.m.
- Feb. 21: Auto dealership at the 300 block of E. North St. at 12:45 a.m.
- Feb. 21: Parking lot/garage at the 300 block of Philadelphia St. at 12:42 p.m.
See more breakdowns of data recorded with these LexisNexis graphs: