Hospital hopes to make a big impact on patients with a small gesture

Monument Health hospital patients can now receive greeting cards from friends and family to brighten their stay.

With minimal contact between people, any kind of support for hospitalized patients is welcomed to aid in recovery throughout the Coronavirus pandemic. Some folks at the hospital are seeking ways to help uplift patients’ spirits.

Monument Health Food Service Workers with greetings

Monument Health Food Service Workers with greetings

Monument Health is helping to be a part of the healing process for many by giving friends and family an outlet for supporting their loved ones in the hospital and they are hoping to make a big impact with a small gesture.

As hospital patients heal in their rooms, they are getting little to no physical contact with their loved ones and as much as this hurts our hearts, it’s a reality with a potentially deadly pandemic knocking at the door.

Monument Health website

Monument Health website

In light of this situation many are finding ways to spread some cheer.

Pete McQuiston, Senior Dir. Food & Nutrition, Monument Health, says “People in the hospital, 90% of the time, they are in crisis, but the other 10% of the time it’s a joyous celebration. Whatever it is, you usually want some sort of camaraderie or support from your family and loved ones and to take that away in these critical, you know, life changing moments — it absolutely pulls on the heart strings.”

Compass One, the management company that contracts food service with Monument Health, came up with an idea.

Monument Health Food Service Workers with greetings

Monument Health Food Service Workers with greetings

The idea is to send notes of encouragement along with the patients’ meal through food service who, in addition to hospital staff, are some of the only people to have direct contact with patients.

Before 9 a.m. each day a person can go to the Monument Health website, select a card stock template and write message to the patient. Then the message will be delivered with a patient’s next meal.

A small, thoughtful gesture, with the hopes of brightening the spirits of those healing in isolation.

Monument Health Food Service Workers with greetings

Monument Health Food Service Workers with greetings

“Not having visitors was a big deal for a lot of folks and we all know that a lot of people in hospitals are a part of our senior population and they are not as savvy with cellphones — but without the visitors, they miss that contact, so how can we help. We have that touch point,” says McQuiston.

Click here for the link to send a greeting card.

Categories: Coronavirus, Local News

AlertMe