Home, business destroyed in Sunday morning fire

261322326 4698714036834163 1397905178132295067 N

photo courtesy: Sandy Golver, Deadwood VFD

CENTRAL CITY, S.D. — A business and attached home were destroyed in a fire in the early morning hours of Sunday, December 5 in the 200 block of Central Main Street in downtown Central City.

Deadwood Volunteer Fire Department Public Information Officer Sandy Glover says that a malfunctioning boiler is believed to be responsible for the fire, which is still under investigation.

Upon arrival, fire had engulfed the entire building, which housed Stretch’s Glass and Custom Parts and a residence. Despite dealing with temperatures in the low double-digits, crews were able to get the fire out.

No injuries were reported; residents made it out of the building safely.

The building will have to be demolished for safety.

Fire crews from Lead, Whitewood, Deadwood, and Spearfish responded to the call. The Lawrence County Sheriff’s Office and Lead Deadwood Police also responded. Service crews from Vast Broadband, Black Hills Energy, and Montana Dakota Utilities were also on scene. Whitewood VFD brought their rehab trailer to provide warm coffee and support to firefighters.

Categories: Local News, South Dakota News