Fire crews contain fire caused by fireworks Sunday night

291762717 10159981044962165 386357618112565921 N

Photo courtesy North Haines Volunteer Fire Department Facebook.

BOX ELDER, S.D. — The North Haines Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched with the Box Elder Volunteer Fire Department to the area of N. Elk Vale Road and Horseshoe Road shortly after 11:15 p.m. Sunday night for a report of a grass fire.

The fire was reported to be spreading with the wind, and it was confirmed that this was the case when Meade County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrived on scene. With the winds, the fire along the road was threatening a hay field.

When the two volunteer fire departments arrived, they found a free burning fire with a moderate spread potential and three to four foot flame lengths in the west ditch of the road.

Crews were able to contain the fire to 1.33 acres as well as preventing the fire from getting into the hay field.

Fireworks were found near the area where the fire started, and it is believed the cause of the fire was from reckless discharging of fireworks.

Officials say that even though grasses are green, they are still very dry and conditions are getting worse every day. Due to this, they are urging citizens to use extreme caution when celebrating with fireworks.

Categories: Local News