Fire chief: Man dies in Brookings apartment explosion, fire

BROOKINGS, S.D. (AP) — Authorities say a man was killed in an explosion and fire at a Brookings apartment.

The Argus Leader reports that Brookings Fire Chief Darrell Hartmann says the explosion and fire Thursday morning was caused by natural gas leak. Hartmann said the back half of the building was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived and neighboring buildings were evacuated by authorities.

Hartmann says a man was found dead on the first floor of the building after the fire was under control. He said the structure is a rental property separated into three apartments. Authorities are not releasing the man’s identity until an autopsy is completed Monday.

Categories: National News, South Dakota News

AlertMe