Feds once again nix Noem’s Mount Rushmore fireworks event
PIERRE, S.D. (AP) — The National Park Service has denied South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem’s request to mark the Fourth of July with fireworks at Mount Rushmore, citing opposition from Native American tribes and the possibility of igniting wildfires.
Gov. Noem said in a statement Tuesday that she would continue her court battle to hold the fireworks.
“NPS announced this denial less than 24 hours after we reminded the court that this year’s permit application was still pending,” said Gov. Noem. “Many of the reasons presented for their denial have been previously addressed, indicating that these reasons are not in good faith. We will move forward with our litigation and urge the court to help us come to a speedy resolution.”
She filed a federal lawsuit against the Biden administration after it refused to issue a permit for a similar celebration last year.
A federal judge rejected her arguments in June, prompting an appeal.
A letter dated Monday from the U.S. Department of Interior said a fireworks event would not be “safe and responsible.”
You can read the full Interior Department letter here.