Family saved by smoke detector during Monday fire in Box Elder

BOX ELDER, S.D. — A Box Elder family was displaced by a fire Monday morning, and a working smoke detector is credited with saving their lives.

The fire started around 6 a.m. in the 200 block of Mockingbird Drive. Their working smoke detector kicked in, alerting the family to get out immediately.

“It’s just a great reminder for everyone to have exit drills in their home, have two ways out of every room in their house,” said Pennington County Fire Administrator, Jerome Harvey. “If you have a battery operated smoke detector, the battery changes at least twice a year. Change your clock, change your battery, keep them clean, and sleep with your bedroom doors closed.”

Firefighters have not discovered the cause of the fire, but it was contained to a single room, and no injuries were reported.

Categories: Local News, South Dakota News