Everything you need to know about New Year’s Eve in Deadwood and the Silverado Franklin Hotel ball drop
Deadwood has a number of businesses doing something special like the Franklin Hotel with its annual ball drop.
Here are a few things to know about New Year’s Eve in Deadwood.
The ball drop at Silverado Franklin Hotel and Casino
The Silverado Franklin Hotel has done the ball drop for 17 years, since 2005.
The actual ball drop has been happening for over 35 years but the group who bought the building inherited it with the property.
“A lot of the events we do in town are city-wide events. So the city sponsors it and the chamber gets involved. We do still have the cooperation from the city on this particular event, but it’s kind of special to us because it is our event,” John Rystrom, manager of the Franklin Hotel, said. “It’s dropped from the top of the historic Franklin Hotel, and we take a lot of pride in actually being able to pull off a big event like this just by ourselves.”
They are expecting between 5,000 to 10,000 people downtown to watch the ball drop.
The hotel will also have free New Year’s Eve party favors to hand out inside before the ball drops.
Preparing for the ball drop
Workers at the Silverado Franklin Hotel got everything set up this week, having started Tuesday morning.
Rystrom says they liked to start a few days earlier but because of the recent weather with snow and cold, it pushed it back a few days. But there has already been a few tests done to make sure that everything works.
Every year, they do something a little different with updates to the ball and how it might drop.
“We do enhancements to the ball every year. We always try to get it to hit right at the top of the veranda right at midnight. Sometimes we’re a little off. So, every year we’ve added a little bit of technology to try to make it so that it’s just perfect,” Rystrom said.
Some years they have someone hand crank it to try to get the timing right.
Photos of the ball drop before New Year’s Eve and during previous celebrations:
Other New Year’s Eve specials and events in Deadwood
“It’s like the holiday season really doesn’t in Deadwood from Christmas through New Year’s Day,” Lee Harstad, executive director of Deadwood Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Bureau, said. “It’s just a terrific time to come out and check things out here and check out the great snow conditions and visit a lot of our businesses who are rolling out the red carpet for all of our visitors.”
- The Lodge at Deadwood’s casino is having New Year’s Hot Seat Drawings from 1 p.m. to 9 p.m. on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.
- The Deadwood Grille has a special New Year’s Menu that is available 5-10 p.m., Dec. 28-31.
- First Gold Gaming Resort has promo play and cash giveaways on the hour between 5-11 p.m. Dec. 30 and 31, and 12-5 p.m. on New Year’s Day.
- Madame Peacock’s Beer and Bling boutique has a storewide sale until Jan. 2.
- Tin Lizzie Gaming Resort’s Casino has a number of drawings and chances to win money.
- Snitches has a special five-course dinner for $125 per person.
- Lizzie Burger is open until midnight on New Year’s Eve night.
- Paddy O’Neill’s will have a Build-Your-Own Bloody Mary bar on the morning of Jan. 1.
- Sportsbook has college football bowl games on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day with F&B specials and two Blackjack tables open all day both days.
- Cadillac Jack’s Gaming Resort has a few casino promotions as well like a Cash Bash, and a poker countdown.
- Diamond Lil’s at The Midnight Star will be open until 11 p.m. on New Year’s Eve.
- Jakes at The Midnight Star will take tables until 10 p.m. on New Year’s Eve. (Reservations recommended, call 605-578-1555)
- Deadwood Gulch Resort has both food and casino specials:
- The Fireside Lounge and Boston’s Restaurant & Sports Bar will have an early bird happy hour, 3-6 p.m., New Year’s Eve. They will also have a Bloody Mary & Mimosa special on New Year’s Day.
- Casino drawings start at 1 p.m. and last until midnight. People can enjoy dessert bars, and stay for the midnight balloon drop, free champagne and favors.
- The Mineral Palace has a giveaway drawing at 7 p.m., New Year’s Eve, and a toast at Midnight on the casino floor. They also have the Casino’s Palace Pit Wheel Promotion.
- The Gem is serving Filet Mignon dinner for $36.95.
- Deadwood VFW will have live entertainment from Marlin Maynard, 8 p.m. – midnight on New Year’s Eve.
- Dale’s Restaurant at Deadwood Mountain Grand features a Surf & Turf and Lobster Tail Special on New Year’s Eve from 5 p.m. to close (reservations are suggested, call 605-559-1169).
Either have a Designated Driver already set up to either come with you or pick you up when everything is done.
There are other safe options to get around if needed:
- Deadwood Trolley will run from 8 a.m. – 2 a.m. on New Year’s Eve which you can track here.
- Black Hills Grab-A-Cab: (605) 269-1515
- Black Hills Taxi: (605) 920-2020
- Deadwood Cab Company: (605) 717-2000
- Dakota Shuttle: (605) 920-9999
- Giddy-Up and Go Shuttle: (605) 484-6592