Douglas School District to distribute bag lunches
DOUGLAS, S.D. — Starting Tuesday, March 17, The Douglas School District will be offering free bag lunches to anyone ages 18 and below as well as to those that are in need of assistance.
The school district is also offering drive-up services to Douglas Middle School and multiple buss routes to deliver the lunches until Friday, March, 20.
The following areas will have lunches distributed to them:
- Valley Village Trailer Park- Bus will deliver at the Park office.
- Plainsview Trailer Park- Bus will deliver at the mailboxes.
- Line Road- Bus will deliver at the intersection of Line Road and Cottonwood.
- Douglas Road- Bus will deliver at regular bus stops along Douglas Road.
If school closures lasts longer than one week, the school district will continue to provide the lunches, and asks for everyone to not be alarmed to see Douglas staff members wearing gloves as they are following sanitation requirements for school food services.
The schools district’s food pantry will be open Thursday, March 19, from 3:30 P.M. to 6 P.M. People can drive by with their windows up with their trunks open, and the school district will put a box of food in the trunk. At this time, the drop-off points are similar to the bag lunch locations.
Open Heart United Methodist Church, Saint Andrew’s Episcopal Church and Knollwood Heights Methodist Church are all coming together to combat the school closings as well.
The three are putting on a Curbside Lunch event that started Monday, March 16, at 10:30 A.M. and ends on Friday, March 20 at noon.
These are the three areas of distribution:
- 202 E Indiana, one block east of South Middle School.
- Saint Andrews Episcopal Church at 910 Soo San Dr. at the same time (Mon-Fri 10:30am to noon).
- The parking lot of Knollwood Heights United Methodist Church at 320 E College Ave in Rapid. (On the southside of Anamosa Street and to the left of Milwaukee Street). M-F 10:30am to noon.
If you would like to donate to help purchase the supplies you can donate here.