DOT announces temporary traffic lights, speed limit changes for Sturgis Rally
STURGIS, S.D. — The 2021 Sturgis Rally begins Friday, August 6 and runs through Sunday, August 15.
Due to anticipated increased traffic volume, the South Dakota Department of Transportation has installed temporary traffic lights at the locations listed below. Those signals will begin functioning before Thursday, August 5 and continue through Monday, August 16.
- S.D. Highway 34/79 and Ft. Meade main entrance
- S.D. Highway 34 and S.D. Highway 79 east of Sturgis
- S.D. Highway 34 and Ft. Meade Way
- S.D. Highway 44 and U.S. Highway 385
- U.S. Highway 16 and U.S. Highway 385 east of Hill City
- S.D. Highway 34/79 and 11th Street in Sturgis
- I-90 Exit 32 westbound ramp
- I-90 Exit 32 eastbound ramp
- I-90 Exit 55 eastbound ramp
- S.D. Highway 34/79 and Glencoe Drive
- S.D. Highway 34/79 and Nellie Avenue
Temporary speed limit reductions will be in place starting Thursday, August 5 and going through Sunday, August 15 on the following roadways:
- Interstate 90 speed limit will be reduced from 75 mph to 65 mph from west of Exit 55 (Deadwood Avenue) in Rapid City to west of Exit 30 (Lazelle Street) in Sturgis.
- S.D. Highway 34 speed limit will be reduced from 45 mph and 65 mph to 35 mph from Blanche Street in Sturgis east 3.8 miles (east of Buffalo Chip).
- S.D. Highway 79 speed limit will be reduced from 65 mph to 45 mph from the junction of S.D. Highway 34 north 1.75 miles (north of Iron Horse Campground) and from 0.05 mile south of the intersection with Bighorn Rd north 0.8 mile (near Full Throttle Saloon and Drag Pipe Saloon approaches).
Message boards and speed trailers will be deployed along the interstate to provide information on traffic conditions, accidents resulting in delays, and extreme weather.