Despite concerns, no fires were started due to Mount Rushmore fireworks show

KEYSTONE, S.D. — Despite concerns for wildfires tied to the Mount Rushmore fireworks on Friday, a Pennington County Fire Official says no fires started as a result of the show.

Discussion grew across the country regarding the fireworks show at Mount Rushmore with concerns the show would lead to a wildfire due to the abnormally dry conditions.  Fireworks were last seen over the monument in 2009 but were discontinued “due to extreme fire danger from mountain pine beetle kill in the region”, according to the state Department of Tourism.

Pennington County Fire Administrator Jerome Harvey says no fires were caused by fireworks near the monument. He says the National Parks Service, the State of South Dakota and all of the fire departments involved made it possible for the fireworks show to happen while keeping the memorial and the public safe.

“There was definitely a good plan put together and followed by all interagency partners concerning the fire plan for the memorial and the adjacent areas,” said Harvey.

A 260-acre prescribed burn was conducted in April to reduce the build up of dead fuels, in support of the park’s fire management plan.

Categories: Local News, South Dakota News

AlertMe