1:00 p.m. UPDATE: Dangerous cold, blowing snow for Wednesday
-35 wind chills will accompany two distinct bands of moderate snowfall, temperatures plummet going into tonight
9:49 a.m. video forecast update on current conditions.
1:00 pm UPDATE
Scroll down for forecast discussion, Here is a quick look at road conditions as of 1:00 pm this afternoon provided by SDDOT and SafeTravel USA. For a full list of school delays and closing, click Here
Rapid City, I-90
Keystone, US-16A & SD-40
Deadwood, US-85 & Us-14A
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RAPID CITY HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR OUR AREA
- 2-5″ of snow are expected across the area, with locally higher amounts East of the Black Hills and less as you travel North of the Black Hills
- Two distinct bands will form this morning and this afternoon, the second one is expected to be a little farther South and East of the Black Hills this afternoon.
- Dangerously cold temperatures, as low as -15 this evening are possible, with wind chills reaching -35
- 30 mph Northerly winds will cause areas of blowing snow, given the light and fluffy nature of the snowfall. This could reduce visibility and impact travel at times
- Snow covered roads are expected, and could cause travel delays and/or difficult driving conditions. use caution
- Wear multiple layers, as the cold and wind chill will be the most dangerous part of this system. Travel with a winter kit in your vehicle and dress in multiple layers. limit time outdoors
- Although areas of blowing snow look to continue into Wednesday night and Thursday morning, further accumulations look to end by Thursday morning.
- Dangerous cold will persist into Thursday, before conditions slightly improve going into the weekend
Here are expected snow totals through Thursday morning. Notice the distinct band from Hot Springs stretching towards Pierre. Areas Northwest of us will struggle with moisture and lift.
Expected wind chills over the next 48 hours
Wind gusts are expected to reach 30-35 mph, which will cause areas of blowing snow going into Thursday morning.
The futurecast shows the distinct snow bands moving through on Wednesday, it eventually pushes off East on Thursday.
Here are temperatures as of 10:40 this morning. These will drop throughout the morning and afternoon, not rise. Temperatures as low as -15 degrees are possible in Rapid city.
Current wind chills as of 10:40 this morning. Frostbite can occur in as little as 10-15 minutes.
Here’s a look at the expected high temperatures and conditions for today
Meteorologist Brant Beckman will be updating this article throughout the day with road conditions and updates, so be sure to check in if you plan on travelling today. Be sure also to send in information, and your pictures! Your contributions help our forecast.