Carbon monoxide detector saves a group of Spearfish residents

SPEARFISH, S.D. — A Spearfish apartment building was evacuated early Sunday morning due to carbon monoxide gas.

Five residents live in the building and they were woken up by a carbon monoxide detector at about 3 a.m. Levels were low to midrange in potency, but it does not take much for the gas to become deadly. The gas is known as the silent killer because it is odorless and colorless, which makes it nearly impossible to recognize without a detector. 

Spearfish Fire Department’s Public Information Officer, Chris Harwood, explained how dangerous the gas can be if not detected on time.

“You don’t know that it is happening. Your home can be full of gas and you don’t even know it. You’ll go to sleep at night and you don’t wake up,” said Harwood.

Thankfully all residents got out and none experienced carbon monoxide poisoning. Fire officials want to remind residents that they should test their CO detectors and fire alarms monthly. The Spearfish Fire Department provides free testing for both detectors. Testing is done every Wednesday and is by appointment.

 

Categories: Local News, South Dakota News