Black Hills VA employee tests positive for COVID-19
FORT MEADE, S.D. — An employee tested positive for Coronavirus (COVID-19) on March 26, 2020 at the VA Black Hills Health Care System. In accordance with CDC guidelines and the person’s clinical status, the employee is currently in home isolation, mitigating the risk of transmission to patients or staff.
VA is screening Veterans and staff for symptoms of fever, cough, and shortness of breath and testing Veterans who meet the CDC criteria for evaluation of COVID-19 infection. Per CDC guidance and VA protocols, patients known to be at risk for a COVID-19 infection are immediately isolated to prevent potential spread to others.
Veterans and staff are encouraged to take everyday preventive actions to avoid being exposed to the virus:
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
• Stay home if you are sick or becoming sick.
• Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
• If you have symptoms or have been exposed to someone with symptoms, call the VA before going to the facility.