BHE reporting power outages for Keystone, Rapid City, and adjacent areas

Severe high winds and low humidity causing critical fire danger in Black Hills area.


RAPID CITY, S.D. — Black Hills Energy is reporting sporadic power outages from the Keystone/Custer area and into West Rapid.

As of 10:20 a.m., 558 customers have been affected in West Rapid and an additional 55 in the Keystone/Custer areas.

Mutch Usera with Black Hills Energy says they are standing by to respond to these outages but are limited due to current firefighting operations.

BHE says they are not sure if the outages are wind or fire related and will have to wait and make visual assessments of the equipment to make a determination.

In an event that you experience an unexpected outage in your home or business, please follow these guidelines for staying safe:

  • If your power goes out, see if your neighbors have power. If they do, check your home for blown fuses or a tripped circuit breaker.
  • If your neighbors don’t have power or if you can’t locate the problem, contact us immediately by calling our emergency number at 1-800-890-5554.
  • If you see damaged outdoor electric power equipment, please contact us at 1-800-890-5554.
  • Do not try to remove any debris if it is on a powerline or outdoor electrical equipment.
  • If you are outdoors, never touch or attempt to pick up a fallen powerline. Assume any downed power line is energized.
  • During an outage, unplug sensitive computer and electronic equipment or protect them with a high-quality surge protector.
  • Leave a lamp, electric radio or your portable mobile computer/phone device on so you know when service is restored.
  • For long power outages do not open your refrigerator or freezer more than necessary. Undisturbed food will remain frozen in most freezers for 12 to 48 hours.
  • Do not use charcoal grills to heat your home or cook indoors. Dangerous carbon monoxide fumes can build up and cause injury or death.
  • If you use a portable generator, follow the manufacturer’s safety and operating guidelines. Be sure to operate the generator in a well-ventilated area. Never operate it indoors or in your garage. Again, dangerous carbon monoxide fumes can build up and cause injury or death.
  • Because carbon monoxide is odorless, colorless and tasteless, have a carbon monoxide detector with fresh batteries installed to warn you of potentially dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.
Categories: Local News, South Dakota News