7 Tips for preparing your vehicle for the winter
RAPID CITY, S.D. – With winter approaching quickly, taking care of your vehicle and being prepared for the worst is very important. Here are some tips to help you prepare this winter:
- Keep up with regular maintenance. It seems simple, but your vehicles really need the extra TLC in the colder months.
- Pay attention to the condition of your tires by regularly checking the tire pressure and tread.
- Have the appropriate tires. The summer tires won’t work at all in the winter; get some all weather or winter tires.
- You can get specialized winter windshield wipers that are able to handle the snow and ice a little better.
- Make sure you have the cold weather windshield wiper fluid.
- Top off your antifreeze.
- Have an emergency kit in case you get stuck. You should have a blanket, shovel to clear your exhaust pipe, kitty litter or sand to help you get traction, a tow rope, and some jumper cables. You can even toss in some snacks, water, and a candle incase you end up being stuck for a long period of time.
“Blankets are must in case you get stuck so you can be still warm. Jumper cables are always good to have if you hook them up right.”, said Bill Taylor, Counter Supervisor at NAPA.
All of these tips should help you stay safe this winter, but the best way to stay safe during winter weather is to not go out unless you absolutely have to.